Wednesday 15 January 2014

I'm writing the future, I'm writing it out...

I, at 18 years old and finishing my last year at 'school', can safely say that 2013 was the year I saw the biggest transition in my life. With university creeping ever-closer to being realistic, I've been forced to think about myself and what I want to do with my future. I think it's safe to say this is not a task many kids look forward to doing, let alone are successful in doing. But in doing this - and in having such a transitional year - I've only come to the conclusion that can we ever really plan the way anything is going to happen? In one year I could have made the decision I suddenly hate politics and be working in a bar for the next years of my life. I've always naively believed that things are going to last forever. My childhood friends will be the godparents to my children; and the boy I liked for a year will be the man I eventually marry. But i'm slowly realising that you don't grow out of naivety just because you have got a couple of years older. We all still believe that the years we are in currently are the most important, and every opportunity has to be taken now. Experiences from my parents haven't deterred me from believing that my best friends now will be my best friends forever. And I still believe there is a chance that whether it is out-of-reach or not, everything is going to work out just fine. I often think how I can't imagine a world without the friends I have now, but the reality is that one day I might have to. It's very hard to live in the present when the future gets closer by the day. By this time next year my life will be completely different, and I'm not sure if i'm ready for that but change isn't all bad now is it? Being 18 has been the best 4 months of my life in some way, I've got real friends, and should everything continue like that then it can't be all that bad can it?...




*Lyrics in title are from the song 'Future' by Paramore*

No comments:

Post a Comment